Saturday, March 10, 2007

Humility-A Biblical Study and Proposed Action of Humility........Part 2 of 7

This posting will cover the following topics in phase I of humility:

● Introduction to humility

● What is humility? - Definition

● Nature of humility


If you want to go to the beginning of this study click here.

Part 2 Phase 1: Introduction to Humility, What is Humility?, Definition, Nature of Humility

The full table of contents for phase I subjects is listed below for your information.

Table of Contents

          Introduction to humility

          What is humility? - Definition

          Nature of humility

          Process and action of humility

          Examples of humility

          Results of humility

          False humility

          Hindrances




 
Introduction to Humility

Jan 2, 2003, 7:15 AM.  ‘Hello Michael, I’m here for ‘Take a Stand’.  Michael, ‘Praise God’.  Well that is the first time I went on radio.  Michael, the station master, was kind to me.  We talked on the show about prayer and humility.  Michael interviewed me in depth making sure his listeners understood us.  For my first time on radio, I was nervous.  Some listeners who I knew heard me, encouraged me with kind comments.  Later as I thought on what had been covered, I realized that I could not define or explain humility in terms that an average person could understand.  II Chronicles 7:14 is a key verse to humility.  "If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray...".  If I could not explain it as a layman, how could I expect others to understand.  Later, I shared this with Pastor Ambush at a ministerial fellowship.  He would not let me rest and wanted me to come and explain the concept of humility on his program 'Lifetalk' at a later date.  "Now---LORD, What have I gotten into?  Do I really have to study this subject deeper?  Can’t I just stop now?  I am only a layman."  That argument did not hold any weight with God.  You cannot argue with God and win.  This left one obvious answer which was from the Lord.  "No, you cannot stop.  You must study this subject so you can teach it!"  I probably would not have had that challenge if had not been for my brother in the Lord, Pastor Ambush, who asked me, “What is Humility?”

I decided to study humility.  I was also prompted by the Lord after the 'Upper Room' prayer vigil, held in February of 2003, to study humility as this was what the Lord was showing would be a format of revival in the region. I found that humility can not be easily defined. In my search of the scriptures,  I did find some important aspects about humility that deepened my understanding.  I do believe that the Spirit of God guided me and helped to clarify what humility is, and related areas such as acts of humility, results of humility, the process of humility, nature of humility, related issues, and examples of humility.  Probably a most important aspect of genuine humility is that it is of true heart action.  I might not have understood this principle except that my wife has worked hard teaching me that for some time.   Heart actions reflect our inner being.  Ps 51:6 says: Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts. 

As we study humility in the Bible and feed on the Word, our understanding of it should continually grow and our lives will begin to reflect God's love.

Past revivals often have fallen short because we limit the Spirit of God by acting on our own understanding rather than on the leading of the Holy Spirit.  What should we do to see revival? We should set our hearts to return to our first love for Christ. We accomplish this by seeking the Lord, confessing sin in our lives, and correcting our ways in humility to the Lord.  Daniel the prophet was an example.  See Daniel chapter 10 vs 12:  Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.  Key words/phrases are 'set thine heart', 'to understand', and 'to chasten (or correct) thyself'.  These are a part of the humbling process stated in II Chronicles 7:14.

Humility is foundational for Christian growth.  Too often we try to work around true humility.  When we do, we allow for limited humility and may try to move ahead, thinking that we are in God's plan. It is true that God gives us spiritual gifts, knowledge, and other resources to help us in our spiritual growth, but they will eventually come crumbling down without true humility in our lives.  True humility is needed so we can become what God wants us to be, and so we can have abundant life.

It is sad that our understanding of humility is so narrow that we are afraid to humble ourselves.  We are afraid of humiliation.  You could liken our perception to a man given the title of being humble, then taking the title away from him because he posted it in a prominent spot.  Attitudes like that, discourage a genuine humbling which the scriptures call for.  Even when one understands the essentials of humility, the process of humbling is a difficult one for all.

True humility starts in the heart and we need godly men and women who will be willing to truly humble themselves before God. These will be God's examples to those around them, encouraging others to do likewise.  We also need pastors who are willing to lead their churches into Biblical understanding and practice of humility? 

II Chronicles 7:14 states 'humble yourselves'.  It is a command that should be obeyed from the heart.  To receive God's instruction involves a change of heart.  As we do, God will prepare our hearts to truly hear Him, enabling us to move forward in His love.  We will also discover the importance of genuine waiting on the Lord, the place of prayer (individually, husband and wife, and corporate).  If, we try to humble ourselves without understanding all that is involved, then our efforts are not complete, and we limit what God can do.  If we take time to come before the Lord, and humble ourselves from the heart, then we allow God to do His complete work in us, allowing us to come into a close relationship with God developing our love for Him.  Proverbs 2:1-5 says we need to apply our heart to understanding and search for understanding as silver and hidden treasure.  Then we will find the knowledge of God, which is a process that involves submission and action.

In II Chronicles 7:14 we have an outline of Christ's life.  Let's briefly examine this:

            If my people...shall humble themselves          Christ humbled Himself

            and pray and seek my face                             Christ spent time in prayer
                                                                                    and came into close communication
                                                                                    with God
and turn from their wicked ways                    Christ enables us to turn from sin to            be His righteousness

            then He will hear from heaven                        We know that God heard Christ

Do we do all this on our own?  Christ is praying for us:  Hebrews 7:25 says   Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

We too, will be heard of God, if we humble ourselves from the heart, turn from our wicked ways, and set our love on Him.  Now some would still ask, if humbling ourselves before God is really needed?  To answer that let's ask ourselves a deep question. How many prayers go unanswered because we have allowed things to be in the way or  have unconfessed sin in our lives?   Christ had close communication with God, and His prayers were heard by God.  The humbling process can restore close communication with Christ and we can have answered prayer.

Finally, the verse says that He will heal their land.  I believe that we will see many wonderful blessings come our way and returns to us.  I know there are some that say that this promise specifically relates for a set period in time and directed for Israel.  I would not argue that it was written for a specific reason, but I believe it is applicable today.  II Corinthians 1:20 says “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.   'All' means 'all' in this verse, nothing less, concerning the promises of God.  The verse, II Chronicles 7:14, does not mean that we will not have tribulation; however, it does mean that we can experience God's healing in our land. In order to heal the land, hearts need to be turned to the Lord.  If people do not turn to the Lord, we may not see the full blessing of this part of the verse.  

I challenge you to let the Lord work in your heart as you study each of the steps and apply the Word in your life.  Prayerfully humble yourself before the Lord as He gives you understanding, allowing Christ to be formed in you.  Then you will experience a true revival of God's love in your heart.

There is a song which says 'it only takes a spark to set a fire glowing'.  Will you allow the Spirit of God to revive you with the fire of His pure love?

 Matthew 5:6.  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Are you one who thirsts after righteousness?  Then let the Lord lead you through this time of humbling from the heart.  I would encourage you to pray this prayer.

Father,

You are the one who changes hearts.  There are many things in my heart that may stand in the way of allowing your love to operate in me, and in my heart.  I ask you to search me and cleanse my heart.  I choose to follow you and ask that Your love will grow in my heart.  I choose to listen to the Holy Spirit.  I choose to hide Your word in my heart and obey it.   I come to you in Jesus name.  Amen.

Now every morning, remind yourself afresh of your need for God’s help in your life so that the life of Christ (Christ's heart of love) may be in you).
What is Humility?

As we start the humbling process we need to understand what humility is.  We can do this by defining it, examining it’s nature, its process and action, and results.  To further aid in our understanding we need to look at examples of humility.  We will also look at what humility is not.

Many Bible scholars, noted Christians, writers, and dictionaries have tried to define humility.  One could look for a common thread between them or realize the diversity indicates that humility is deep and broad.  It is a word that we need to explore.  To give an idea of the diversity of definitions,  I have taken the definitions from sources and listed them here.  After you read them I believe you will agree that it is very difficult to explain humility in a word or even a single thought.

Andrew Murray-Humility is the displacement of self by the enthronement of God where God is all and self is nothing; is attempting to see ourselves through God’s eyes rather than our own[1].

Webster:  Dictionary:  Freedom from pride and arrogance[2]

Neil Anderson-Putting no confidence in the flesh, that is – in ourselves—but rather being strong in the Lord and the strength of His might.  Ephesians 6:10, humility is confidence properly place in God.  See James 4:5-10, I Peter 5:1-10[3]


More definitions could be used, but because of the depth of the subject, they, too, would be diverse.  Each would have a matter of correctness, but we would still be asking what humility means.  The challenge given to me by a preacher friend in the Lord, led me to search out the question- What is humility?  After looking at what others wrote and still not understanding humility, I then went to the source – God’s Word, the Bible.  With the help of the Lord, I concluded that defining humility could not be done in a word or a phrase.  I discovered that humility entails the following:

                        A nature
                        A process and an action. 
                        Results
 

Before we go into these, let's look at what the scriptures showed about humility and see a definition based on scripture.

Humility is recognizing your need for:

  • Christ by
*focusing on Him Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and    his righteousness
*allowing Him to search your heart Psalms 139:23   Search me, O God, and know my heart
*giving your heart to Him Revelations 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

  • (1) He wants us to open and be transparent and willing to confess sin
I Timothey 1:15  ..that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of hom I am chief
Psalms 139:23   Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
                  Jeremaih 17:10    I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins
                  Proverbs 1:23   ...turn you at my reproof
II Chronicles 7:14  .. turn from their wicked ways
                  James 5:16  Confess your faults one to another
                  I John 1:9 If we confess our sins
                  Luke 5:8  ..for I am a sinful man, O Lord

  • (2) and be willing forgive. 
                 Matthew 6:12, 14-15 forgive..
                 
  • (3)  It is agreement with the truth
                  James 4:7  Submit yourselves therefore to God
                  Matthew 6:10.  Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in                               heaven
                  Romans 6:13  Yield yourselves unto God
                  Romans 12:1 & 2  ..that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice
                  II Chronicles 7:14 ..turn from their wicked ways

  • (4) and adopting the ways of the Lord as one’s own
                        Romans 12:2  Be ye transformed

  • (5)  When you  submit to the Lord, you will submit to one another
                  Ephesians 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

  • (6)  We will let the Lord be our strength
Jeremiah 16:19 O LORD, my strength, and my fortress,

  • (7)  It involves obedience from the heart
                  II Samuel 22:33   God is my strength and power
                  Psalms 18:2  The Lord..is my strength
                  Psalms 28:7  The Lord is my strength
                  Psalms 118:14  The Lord is my strength
                  Isaiah 12:2  ..for the Lord Jehovah is my strength

  • (8) casting our care on Jesus rather than carrying it ourselves
                  I Peter 5:7.  Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

  • (9)  listening to the Spirit of God; obedience from the heart and daily dying to self so Christ is free to live in us; and
                   Romans15:31 ..I die daily.
                         I John 1:9  If we confess our sins

  • (10) serving others
                       Matthew 20:27-28  ..let him be your servant..to minister.

See also:         
Ephesians 3:8 ..Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace     given
            I Timothy 1:13,15  ..I obtained mercy
            II Corinthians 1:12 ..but by the grace of God










Note to Leaders:  Explore listening aspect of humility.
With out humility we cannot hear or see
Humility involves hearing      see Jeremiah 7:23.   This verse implies hearing.
Note:  these need to be explained further-possibly as inferred results of humility, and action of humility.
Nature of Humility

In studying humility closely, one finds definable characteristics about it that reflect the nature, or essence, of humility.  Some of these are identified in scripture, others are implied. 

Many of the characteristics of humility may be foreign to some of us, but as we look toward God, and allow Him to help us, we will see these characteristics become a part of our nature.  This is seen as we conform to the image of Christ.  Romans 8:29  ..to be conformed to the image of his Son.  Let's look at them:

 

          Meek and lowly of heart  Matthew 11:29 for I am meek and lowly in heart,

          Issue of submission:

            I Pet 2:13  Submit to every ordinance
            James 4:7  Submit yourselves to God
            Eph 5:21   Submit yourselves to one another
            Rom 10:3  Submission to righteousness of God

          Matthew 11:29 Learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart-to learn   involves listening which is an implied action.

          Secret of humility—the position of dependence upon the Grace of God  Rom 8:2  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

          Faith and humility at the root are one (Andrew Murray).  True humility involves letting the Word of God guide us, and faith involves action on the Word of God.  Both are possible when the Word gets into our hearts.

If a word has a nature, then it is not dead.  It is representative of character, and I believe true humility reflects the character of Christ.  If you made a statement about the nature of humility, it might be 'Christ is alive in us'  1 Corinthians 15:22.


To mankind, these characteristics often are repulsive.  After all, the mentality that I must be strong and do it my self is prevalent.  To the Christian, however, God directs us in I Peter 5:5 to be clothed with humility.


[1] Murray, Andrew, Humility, Bethany House Publisher
[2] Webster’s Third New International Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged, Merrian Webster, 1993
[3] Anderson, Neil T, Bondage Breaker, Harvest House Publishers, 2000

Part 3 will cover the following:

Process and Action of humility,
Examples of humility,
Results of humility

To go to part 3 click here

No comments: